To: UCLA Faculty
As recently announced by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott L. Waugh, a search committee has been charged with identifying candidates for the next Vice Provost for International Affairs at UCLA.
I am pleased to serve as chair of this committee. Other members are:
- Onyebuchi A. Arah – associate professor of epidemiology
- Jason Cong – Chancellor’s Professor of Computer Science and co-director, UCLA-PKU Joint Research Institute in Science and Engineering
- Sebastian Edwards – Henry Ford II Professor of International Economics
- David H. Gere – professor of world arts and cultures and director, Art and Global Health Center
- Gail Kligman – professor of sociology and director, Center for European and Eurasian Studies
- Michael F. Lofchie – professor of political science and associate dean, social sciences
- Meyer Luskin – chairman, president and CEO, Scope Industries
- Aamir R. Mufti – associate professor of comparative literature
- Adey Nyamathi – associate dean for international research and scholarly activities and Audrienne H. Moseley Endowed Chair, School of Nursing
- Kal Raustiala – professor of law and director, UCLA Ronald W. Burkle Center for International Relations
- Thomas B. Smith – professor of ecology and evolutionary biology and director, Center for Tropical Research, UCLA Institute of the Environment and Sustainability
- Ren Sun – professor of molecular and medical pharmacology and senior associate dean for graduate studies, David Geffen School of Medicine
- Kevin Terraciano – professor of history; chair, Latin American Studies interdepartmental program; and interim director, Latin American Institute
As a critical part of the search process, we invite you to meet with the committee on Monday, February 14, 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. in 2121 Murphy Hall, to share information and insights regarding the search.
In preparation for this meeting, you may wish to gather your thoughts on ideal qualities and qualifications for the position; areas in which you feel UCLA might strengthen its current international engagement for greater impact; new strategic initiatives or ‘critical needs’ that might set the agenda for the next vice provost; and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts.
So that we can plan adequate seating and refreshments, kindly reply with your attendance plans. If you wish to provide input to the committee but are unable to attend this meeting, please forward any comments to InternationalVPsearch@conet.ucla.edu.
Following is the position announcement, as circulated last month. We expressly invite you to nominate any individuals you feel are exceptionally well-qualified and/or express your own interest in the position. Please forward inquiries, nominations and applications to InternationalVPsearch@conet.ucla.edu and/or to our Witt/Kieffer search consultants at UCLAInternational@wittkieffer.com. All inquiries will be kept in confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Chair, Search Committee for Vice Provost for International Affairs
Dean, School of Public Health