To: GSE&IS Faculty, Staff and Students; GSE&IS Board of Visitors; UCLA Community School Board of Advisors; and UCLA Lab School Board of Advisors
As recently announced by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott L. Waugh, a search committee has been charged with identifying candidates for the next dean of the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies (GSE&IS) at UCLA.
I am pleased to serve as chair of this committee. Other members are:
- Abeer Alwan – professor of electrical engineering; member of the UCLA Lab School board of advisors
- Sibyll Carnochan Catalan – member of the UCLA Lab School board of advisors
- Mitchell J. Chang – professor of education, higher education and organizational change division
- Anne J. Gilliland – professor of information studies and moving image archive studies
- Tyrone Howard – professor of education, urban schooling division
- Gregory Leazer – associate professor and chair, information studies
- Alicia Miñana de Lovelace – member of the GSE&IS board of visitors
- Kevin S. Reed – vice chancellor for legal affairs; member of the UCLA Community School board of advisors
- Daniel G. Solórzano – professor of education, social science and comparative education division; member of the UCLA Community School board of advisors
As a critical part of the search process, the search committee seeks input from the GSE&IS community. We invite you to meet with the committee on Wednesday, October 19, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. in the Sequoia Room at the UCLA Faculty Center, to share information and insights regarding the search.
In preparation for this meeting, you may wish to gather your thoughts on ideal qualities and qualifications for the position; areas in which you feel GSE&IS might strengthen its current engagement for greater impact; challenges, opportunities and/or ‘critical needs’ that might set the agenda for the next dean; and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts.
So that we can plan adequate seating and refreshments, kindly reply (to ExecSearch@conet.ucla.edu) with your attendance plans. If you are unable to attend this meeting but wish to provide input to the committee, please forward comments to GSEISDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu.
Following is the position announcement. We expressly invite you to circulate the announcement broadly, nominate any individuals you feel are exceptionally well-qualified, and/or express your own interest in the position. Please forward nominations and applications to GSEISDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu. All inquiries will be kept in confidence among members of the search committee.
Thank you for your assistance.
David O. Sears
Chair, Search Committee for Graduate School of Education and Information Studies
Distinguished Professor of Psychology and Political Science