UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: Faculty in the Division of Humanities
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott L. Waugh has charged a search committee with identifying candidates for the next dean of the Division of Humanities. I am pleased to serve as chair of this committee. Our other members are:
- Carol Bakhos – associate professor of Jewish studies, Near Eastern languages and cultures; acting chair, Study of Religion program
- David Blank – professor and chair of the department of classics
- Barbara Fuchs – professor of Spanish and Portuguese; professor of English; director, Center for 17th- and 18th-Century Studies; director, William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
- Andrew Heyward – partner/co-president, A Squared Entertainment
- Anoop Mahajan – professor and chair, Department of Linguistics
- Felicity Nussbaum – distinguished professor of English
- Jenny Sharpe – professor and chair, Department of Women’s Studies; professor of English and comparative literature
- Seana Shiffrin – professor of philosophy and Pete Kameron Professor of Law and Social Justice
- Shu-mei Shih – professor of comparative literature, Asian languages and cultures, and Asian American studies
- Zrinka Stahuljak – associate professor of French and Francophone studies; associate director, UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Timothy Taylor – professor of ethnomusicology and musicology
As a critical part of the search process, the committee will be seeking input from Humanities faculty. To that end, we would like to invite you to meet with the committee on Thursday, December 8, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. in 2121 Murphy Hall, in order to share your insights regarding the search.
The committee will be especially interested to hear your views on the sorts of challenges, opportunities, and critical needs that might set the agenda for the next dean; ideal qualities and qualifications for the position; and any other information that will help guide our efforts.
So that we may provide adequate seating, kindly reply to ExecSearch@conet.ucla.edu with your attendance plans. If you are unable to attend this meeting but wish to provide input to the committee, please feel free to send comments to HumanitiesDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu at any point during the search.
In addition, we would encourage you to circulate the position announcement broadly, to nominate any individuals you feel are exceptionally well-qualified, and/or to express your own interest in the position. Please forward nominations and applications to HumanitiesDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence by the search committee.
Thank you for your assistance in this important process.
Chair, Search Committee for Dean of the Division of Humanities
Dean of the School of the Arts and Architecture