Invitation: Meet with the Undergraduate Education Search Committee
Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: UCLA Faculty
As recently announced by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott L. Waugh, a search committee has been charged with identifying candidates for the next Dean and Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education at UCLA.
I am pleased to serve as chair of this committee. Other members are:
- César J. Ayala – professor of sociology
- Barbara Drucker – professor of art; associate dean of academic affairs, School of the Arts and Architecture
- Robert Gurval – associate professor of classics
- MarySue V. Heilemann – associate professor of nursing
- William McDonald – professor of film and television
- Kathleen McGarry – professor and undergraduate vice-chair, economics
- Mark R. Morris – professor of physics and astronomy
- Mark Sawyer – professor of African American studies and political science
- Michael K. Stenstrom – distinguished professor of civil and environmental engineering
- Blaire Van Valkenburgh – professor of ecology and evolutionary biology
As a critical part of the search process, the search committee seeks input from the UCLA Faculty. We invite you to meet with the committee on Tuesday, March 6, 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. in 2121 Murphy Hall, to share information and insights regarding the search.
In preparation for this meeting, you may wish to gather your thoughts on ideal qualities and qualifications for the position; challenges, opportunities and/or ‘critical needs’ that might set the agenda for the next vice provost/dean; and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts.
So that we can plan adequate seating, kindly reply (to ExecSearch@conet.ucla.edu) with your attendance plans. If you are unable to attend this meeting but wish to provide input to the committee, please forward comments to UndergradEdSearch@conet.ucla.edu.
Following is the position announcement. We expressly invite you to circulate the announcement broadly, nominate any individuals you feel are exceptionally well-qualified, and/or express your own interest in the position. Please forward nominations and applications to UndergradEdSearch@conet.ucla.edu. All inquiries will be kept in confidence among members of the search committee.
Thank you for your assistance.
Franklin D. Gilliam, Jr.
Chair, search committee for Dean and Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Dean of the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs