UCLA Chancellor’s Council on the Arts Seeks Your Input
UCLA Office of the Chancellor
To: Deans, Faculty, UCLA Extension Arts Instructors, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
I have recently formed an advisory council to advise Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott Waugh, relevant deans and me on opportunities related to the arts, entertainment, performance, creativity and related scholarship at UCLA.
The primary focus of the UCLA Chancellor’s Council on the Arts will be to connect and mobilize UCLA’s rich and diverse artistic communities, drawing upon our strengths in such areas as visual and performing arts, film and television, creative writing, digital arts and media, architecture and urban design, humanistic research on the arts, public arts curation and presentation, K-12 arts education, community arts, international programs in the arts and arts policy.
During the course of the coming year, the council will develop strategies to highlight and extend the ways in which arts at UCLA enhance both our campus and Los Angeles; to increase the visibility of our artistic programs and scholarship; and to strengthen our links to Los Angeles’ vibrant cultural, arts and entertainment communities in Los Angeles.
Scott Waugh is the chair of the council. Other members are:
- Randall Arney – Artistic Director, Geffen Playhouse
- Judith Baca – Professor of Chicana/o Studies and World Arts and Cultures/Dance
- Marla Berns – Shirley & Ralph Shapiro Director, Fowler Museum
- Robert Bilder – Tennenbaum Professor of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences; Professor of Psychology
- Myung Hee Cho – Assistant Professor of Theater
- Kristy Edmunds – Executive and Artistic Director, Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA
- Robert Fink – Professor of Musicology
- Peter Guber – Professor of Film; Chairman and CEO, Mandalay Entertainment Group
- Michael Hackett – Professor and Chair, Department of Theater
- Miwon Kwon – Chair, Department of Art History
- William McDonald – Professor and Chair, Department of Film, Television and Digital Media
- Cindy Miscikowski – Member, School of the Arts and Architecture Board of Visitors; President, Port of Los Angeles Board of Harbor Commissioners
- Catherine Opie – Professor of Art
- Ann Philbin – Director, Hammer Museum
- David Schaberg – Dean, Division of Humanities
- Teri Schwartz – Dean, UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television
- Eddo Stern – Professor of Design | Media Arts
- Carol Stogsdill – Associate Vice Chancellor, UCLA Communications and Public Outreach (ex-officio)
- Neal Stulberg – Professor of Music
- José Luis Valenzuela – Professor of Theater
- Linda Venis – Director, UCLA Extension Department of the Arts
- Richard Walter – Professor of Film, Television and Digital Media
- Christopher Waterman – Dean, School of the Arts and Architecture
- Harold M. Williams – Chair, School of the Arts and Architecture Board of Visitors; Dean Emeritus, Anderson School of Management; CEO Emeritus, J. Paul Getty Trust
- Richard Yarborough – Professor of English
To guide and inform their work, council members seek input from the entire campus community about how we can enhance the role of the arts at UCLA. We invite any comments or information you wish to share, and especially welcome your ideas for fostering greater collaboration on campus and for establishing and maintaining a presence in our local and academic communities.
Please send comments to ArtsCouncil@conet.ucla.edu, preferably by Monday, October 28. If you have any questions, please contact Traci Considine in the Office of the Chancellor (310-206-8003 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you for your assistance.
Gene D. Block