UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty and Staff in the School of Dentistry, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
I am pleased to announce the appointment of Paul H. Krebsbach as Dean of the UCLA School of Dentistry, effective June 30, 2016.
Dr. Krebsbach is the Roy H. Roberts Professor of Dentistry and Professor of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Michigan. A member of the faculty since 1996, he has served as chair of the Department of Biologic and Materials Sciences and Division of Prosthodontics since 2005. Prior to his tenure at the University of Michigan, he served as a senior staff fellow for three years at the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), a branch of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Funded by the NIH, NIDCR and others, his research focuses on regenerative medicine and stem cell biology. Dr. Krebsbach is the author of more than 180 articles and chapters, and he holds two patents.
Dr. Krebsbach received a B.A. in biology from the University of St. Thomas, a D.D.S. from the University of Minnesota, and a certificate in periodontology and Ph.D. in biomedical sciences from the University of Connecticut Health Center. The recipient of many honors, he is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, and was awarded the International Association for Dental Research (IADR)/American Association for Dental Research (AADR) William J. Gies Award, the IADR Distinguished Scientist Award for Basic Research in Biological Mineralization, and the Independent Scientist Award from the NIH and NIDCR. He recently served as the 44th president of the AADR, and he is a member of the American Dental Association, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, and IADR. For 10 years, Dr. Krebsbach served on the editorial boards of the International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, and he currently serves on the editorial boards of Bone Research, the Journal of Healthcare Leadership and the International Journal of Oral Science. In addition, he has served on many university, national and international committees.
I want to thank the search/advisory committee for assembling an outstanding pool of candidates and for its role in recruiting Paul. The committee was chaired by Jonathan R. Hiatt, professor of surgery and vice dean for the faculty at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Other members were:
- Kathryn A. Atchison – professor of dentistry, and of health policy and management; vice provost for new collaborative initiatives
- Earl G. Freymiller – Bob and Marion Wilson Endowed Chair; professor of clinical dentistry; chair, Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery; chair, Division of Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences
- Patricia A. Ganz – distinguished professor of medicine, and of health policy and management
- Edmond R. Hewlett – professor of dentistry (Section of Restorative Dentistry); associate dean for outreach and diversity
- Karen Lyons – professor of molecular, cell and developmental biology, and of orthopaedic surgery
- Ichiro Nishimura – professor of dentistry (Section of Prosthodontics), and of bioengineering
- Ralph Shapiro – chairman, Avondale Investment Company
- Vivek Shetty – professor of dentistry (Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery); assistant vice chancellor for research
- Daniela R. Silva – Thomas K. Barber Chair in Pediatric Dentistry; associate clinical professor of dentistry; chair, Section of Pediatric Dentistry
- Sotirios Tetradis – professor of dentistry; chair, Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
- Fariba S. Younai – professor of clinical dentistry (Section of Oral Medicine and Orofacial Pain); vice chair, Division of Oral Biology and Medicine
I also want to recognize and thank Dean No-Hee Park for his distinguished leadership of the school since 1998.
Chancellor Block and I are confident that the School of Dentistry will reach new heights under Paul’s leadership. Please join me in congratulating him and welcoming him to UCLA.
Scott L. Waugh
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost