UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates for the next Dean and Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education at UCLA.
Franklin D. Gilliam, Jr., dean of the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs, is chair of the committee. Other members are:
- César J. Ayala – professor of sociology
- Barbara Drucker – professor of art; associate dean of academic affairs, School of the Arts and Architecture
- Robert Gurval – associate professor of classics
- MarySue V. Heilemann – associate professor of nursing
- William McDonald – professor of film and television
- Kathleen McGarry – professor and undergraduate vice-chair, economics
- Mark R. Morris – professor of physics and astronomy
- Mark Sawyer – professor of African American studies and political science
- Michael K. Stenstrom – distinguished professor of civil and environmental engineering
- Blaire Van Valkenburgh – professor of ecology and evolutionary biology
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would very much appreciate your circulating the announcement below and notifying the search committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. Please forward inquiries, nominations and applications to UndergradEdSearch@conet.ucla.edu (electronic submission preferred).
As a critical part of the search process, the search committee seeks input from the campus community on ideal qualities and qualifications for the new dean/vice provost, current issues and priorities that could help set the agenda for the new dean/vice provost, and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts. If you are interested in providing input to the committee, please contact Traci Considine, manager of executive searches in the Office of the Chancellor (310-206-8003), or write to email@example.com. All input, inquiries, nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Scott L. Waugh
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost