UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty in the Division of Humanities, and Vice Chancellors
A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates for the next dean of the Division of Humanities.
Christopher Waterman, dean of the School of the Arts and Architecture, is chair of the committee. Other members are:
- Carol Bakhos – associate professor of Jewish studies, Near Eastern languages and cultures; acting chair, Study of Religion program
- David Blank – professor and chair of the department of classics
- Barbara Fuchs – professor of Spanish and Portuguese; professor of English; director, Center for 17th- and 18th-Century Studies; director, William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
- Andrew Heyward – partner/co-president, A Squared Entertainment
- Anoop Mahajan – professor and chair, Department of Linguistics
- Felicity Nussbaum – distinguished professor of English
- Jenny Sharpe – professor and chair, Department of Women’s Studies; professor of English and comparative literature
- Seana Shiffrin – professor of philosophy and Pete Kameron Professor of Law and Social Justice
- Shu-mei Shih – professor of comparative literature, Asian languages and cultures, and Asian American studies
- Zrinka Stahuljak – associate professor of French and Francophone studies; associate director, UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Timothy Taylor – professor of ethnomusicology and musicology
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would very much appreciate your circulating the announcement below and notifying the search committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well-qualified for the position. Please forward inquiries, nominations and applications to HumanitiesDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu (electronic submission preferred).
As a critical part of the search process, the search committee seeks input from the campus community on ideal qualities and qualifications for the new dean, current issues and priorities that could help set the agenda for the new dean, and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts. If you are interested in providing input to the committee, please contact Traci Considine, manager of executive searches in the Office of the Chancellor (310-206-8003), or write to email@example.com. All input, inquiries, nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Scott L. Waugh
Executive Vice Chancellor and ProvostPublish Date: