UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To the Campus Community:
I am pleased to inform you that Chancellor Gene Block and I have formed a search/advisory committee charged with identifying candidates for the position of Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
Reflecting an understanding of diversity as an institutional resource fundamental to the educational mission of the university, the vice chancellor for equity, diversity and inclusion will serve as the senior UCLA official responsible for leading and coordinating the university’s efforts to create a diverse, inclusive and welcoming environment for all students, staff, faculty, alumni and community partners.
Carole Goldberg, vice chancellor for academic personnel, is chair of the search committee. Other members are:
- Devon Carbado – The Honorable Harry Pregerson Professor of Law
- Mitchell Chang – professor of education and Asian American studies
- Cindy Cordova –president, UCLA Staff Assembly; assistant to the vice dean for faculty, David Geffen School of Medicine
- Patrick Dowling – chair, department of family medicine; Kaiser Benefit Foundation Endowed Professor of Community Medicine
- Miguel Garcia-Garibay – professor and chair, department of chemistry and biochemistry
- Alicia Gaspar de Alba – professor of Chicana/o studies, English and gender studies; chair, LGBT Studies Program
- Gilbert Gee – professor of community health sciences
- Darnell Hunt – professor of sociology; director, Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American Studies
- Jazz Kiang – undergraduate student
- Janina Montero – vice chancellor, student affairs
- Ivy Onyeador – graduate student
- Asma Sayeed – associate professor of Islamic studies
- R. Bradley Sears – executive director, the Williams Institute; Roberta A. Conroy Scholar of Law and Policy
- Victoria Sork – dean, Division of Life Sciences
To enhance the search effort, we have retained an executive search firm, Witt/Kieffer, represented by Mary Elizabeth (Beth) Taylor and Oliver B. Tomlin III.
As an important part of the search process, the search committee seeks input from the campus community on ideal qualities and qualifications for the new vice chancellor, critical priorities that could help set the agenda for the vice chancellor, and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts. We invite and would very much appreciate your comments; please email your input to VCEDIsearch@conet.ucla.edu. In addition, the committee will host town hall meetings during the summer and fall.
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would appreciate your circulating the announcement below and notifying the search committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. Please email inquiries, nominations and applications to UCLAVCEDI@wittkieffer.com. All correspondence will be held in strict confidence.
As Chancellor Block wrote in a recent campus message, “Equity and diversity are critical components of our academic mission; they facilitate the robust exchange of ideas and enable the production and dissemination of knowledge for the betterment of society.” Both he and I recognize that this position is of paramount importance and significance to our campus community, and we thank you in advance for your assistance with the search.
Scott L. Waugh
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost