UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty in the David Geffen School of Medicine, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates for the next dean of the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA (DGSOM).
I am pleased to serve as chair of the committee. Other members are:
- Carol Bennett – clinical professor of urology, DGSOM; chief of urology, Greater Los Angeles VA Healthcare System
- Arleen F. Brown – professor of general internal medicine and health services research
- Alex A.T. Bui – professor of radiology
- Sherin U. Devaskar – distinguished professor and Mattel Executive Endowed Chair, Department of Pediatrics; physician-in-chief, Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA; assistant vice chancellor of children’s health, UCLA Health System
- Charles C. Flippen II – professor and Richard and Ruth Walter Chair in Neurology
- Hilary A. Godwin – professor of environmental health sciences; associate dean for academic programs, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health
- Laurie Davis Gray – member, UCLA Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital Board of Advisors; member, Cedars-Sinai Board of Governors
- Sarah J. Kilpatrick – professor and The Helping Hand of Los Angeles Endowed Chair; chair, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology; associate dean for faculty development, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Paul E. Micevych – distinguished professor and chair, Department of Neurobiology; distinguished professor of head and neck surgery
- Steve O. Michael – executive vice president for academic affairs and provost, Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
- Jeffery F. Miller – Fred Kavli Chair in NanoSystems Sciences; director, California NanoSystems Institute; professor of microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics
- Adeline M. Nyamathi – distinguished professor of nursing; associate dean for international research and scholarly activities; Audrienne H. Moseley Endowed Chair in Community Health Research
- Michael A. Rodriguez – professor and vice chair, Department of Family Medicine
- Gary J. Schiller – professor of medicine, hematology and oncology; chair, DGSOM Faculty Executive Committee
- Monica Sifuentes – professor of pediatrics; vice chair of education, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
- Victoria L. Sork – dean, Division of Life Sciences; senior associate dean, DGSOM; professor of ecology and evolutionary biology
- Benjamin M. Wu – professor of bioengineering, materials science, dentistry and orthopedic surgery
To enhance the search effort, we have retained an executive search firm, Russell Reynolds Associates, represented by Ilene H. Nagel.
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would very much appreciate your circulating the announcement below and notifying the search/advisory committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. The committee also welcomes input on ideal qualities and qualifications for the dean; current opportunities, challenges and priorities that could help set the agenda for the medical school; and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts. Please email nominations and input to MedicineDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu or contact Traci Considine, manager of executive recruitment in the Office of the Chancellor (firstname.lastname@example.org). Inquiries and applications may be sent to UCLA.DGSOM@russellreynolds.com. All correspondence will be held in strict confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Scott L. Waugh
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost