UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty in the College of Letters and Science, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates for the next dean of the Division of Physical Sciences.
James F. Davis – vice provost, information technology; chief academic technology officer; and professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering – is chair of the committee. Other members are:
• Mani Bhaumik – president, Cosmogenetics, Inc.; member, Physical Sciences Board of Visitors
• Russel E. Caflisch – professor of mathematics; director, Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics
• Troy A. Carter – professor and vice chair, Department of Physics and Astronomy
• William M. Gelbart – distinguished professor of chemistry and biochemistry
• Carlos V. Grijalva – professor of psychology and behavioral neuroscience; associate dean, UCLA Graduate Division
• Mark S. Handcock – professor and chair, Department of Statistics
• David Jewitt – professor of earth, planetary and space sciences, and of physics and astronomy
• Adrienne G. Lavine – professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering
• Kuo-Nan Liou – distinguished professor of atmospheric and oceanic sciences
• Marilyn N. Raphael – professor of geography
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would very much appreciate your circulating the announcement below and notifying the search committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. Please email inquiries, nominations and applications to PhysicalSciDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu.
As a critical part of the search process, the search committee seeks input from the campus community on ideal qualities and qualifications for the new dean, current issues and priorities that could help set the agenda for the Division of Physical Sciences, and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts. If you are interested in providing input to the committee, please contact Traci Considine, manager of executive recruitment in the Office of the Chancellor (310-206-8003 or email@example.com). All input, inquiries, nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Scott L. Waugh
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost