UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty in the School of the Arts and Architecture, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates for the next dean of the UCLA School of the Arts and Architecture.
Patricia A. Turner – dean and vice provost for undergraduate education; professor, Department of World Arts and Cultures/Dance; professor, Department of African American Studies – is chair of the committee. Other members are:
- Dana Cuff – professor, Department of Architecture and Urban Design; director, cityLAB-UCLA
- Kristy Edmunds – executive and artistic director, Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA
- Andrea Fraser – professor, Department of Art
- David H. Gere – professor, Department of World Arts and Cultures/Dance; director, UCLA Art and Global Health Center
- Ioanna Kakoulli – professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering; professor and chair, Conservation of Archaeological and Ethnographic Materials Interdepartmental Program
- Peter Lunenfeld – professor, Department of Design Media Arts
- Victoria Marks – professor, Department of World Arts and Cultures/Dance; chair, Disability Studies Minor
- Rebeca Méndez – professor, Department of Design Media Arts
- Cindy Miscikowski – member, Arts and Architecture Board of Visitors
- Steven Nelson – professor, Department of Art History; director, UCLA African Studies Center
- Chon A. Noriega – professor, Department of Film, Television and Digital Media; director, UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center
- Catherine Opie – professor, Department of Art
- Heather Roberge – associate professor and associate vice chair, Department of Architecture and Urban Design
To enhance the search effort, we have retained an executive search firm, Witt/Kieffer, represented by Mary Elizabeth Taylor, Zachary Smith and Robert Luke.
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would very much appreciate your circulating the announcement below and notifying the search/advisory committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. The committee also welcomes input on ideal qualities and qualifications for the dean; current opportunities, challenges and priorities that could help set the agenda for the school; and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts. Please email nominations and input to SOAADeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu or contact Traci Considine, manager of executive recruitment in the Office of the Chancellor (firstname.lastname@example.org). Inquiries and applications may be sent to UCLAArtsArch@wittkieffer.com. All correspondence will be held in strict confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Scott L. Waugh
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost