Search/Advisory Committee: Dean of the UCLA School of Dentistry
UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty in the School of Dentistry, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates for the next dean of the UCLA School of Dentistry.
Jonathan R. Hiatt, professor of surgery and vice dean for the faculty at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, is chair of the committee. Other members are:
- Kathryn A. Atchison – professor of dentistry, and of health policy and management; vice provost for new collaborative initiatives
- Earl G. Freymiller – Bob and Marion Wilson Endowed Chair; professor of clinical dentistry; chair, Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery; chair, Division of Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences
- Patricia A. Ganz – distinguished professor of medicine, and of health policy and management
- Edmond R. Hewlett – professor of dentistry (Section of Restorative Dentistry); associate dean for outreach and diversity
- Karen Lyons – professor of molecular, cell and developmental biology, and of orthopaedic surgery
- Ichiro Nishimura – professor of dentistry (Section of Prosthodontics), and of bioengineering
- Ralph Shapiro – chairman, Avondale Investment Company
- Vivek Shetty – professor of dentistry (Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery); assistant vice chancellor for research
- Daniela R. Silva – Thomas K. Barber Chair in Pediatric Dentistry; associate clinical professor of dentistry; chair, Section of Pediatric Dentistry
- Sotirios Tetradis – professor of dentistry; chair, Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
- Fariba S. Younai – professor of clinical dentistry (Section of Oral Medicine and Orofacial Pain); vice chair, Division of Oral Biology and Medicine
To enhance the search effort, we have retained an executive search firm, Witt/Kieffer, represented by Mary Elizabeth Taylor and Jeffrey Schroetlin.
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would very much appreciate your circulating the announcement below and notifying the search/advisory committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. The committee also welcomes input on ideal qualities and qualifications for the dean; current opportunities, challenges and priorities that could help set the agenda for the school; and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts. Please email nominations and input to DentistryDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu or contact Traci Considine, manager of executive recruitment in the Office of the Chancellor (email@example.com). Inquiries and applications may be sent to UCLADentistry@wittkieffer.com. All correspondence will be held in strict confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Scott L. Waugh
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost