UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty in the Herb Alpert School of Music, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates for the dean of the UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music.
Virginia Steel, university librarian, is chair of the committee. Other members are:
- Nina Sun Eidsheim – assistant professor of musicology; associate dean for academic mentoring and opportunity
- Juliana Gondek – professor of music; associate dean for equity, diversity and inclusion
- Ronald A. Katz – chief executive, Ronald A. Katz Technology Licensing, L.P.
- Robin D. G. Kelley – Gary B. Nash Endowed Chair in United States History and distinguished professor of history
- Raymond Knapp – professor and chair, Department of Musicology; academic associate dean
- Efrain Kristal – professor and chair, Department of Comparative Literature; professor of Spanish and Portuguese, and of French and Francophone studies
- Steven Loza – professor and chair, Department of Ethnomusicology
- Angelia Leung – associate professor of world arts and cultures/dance
- James Newton – distinguished professor of ethnomusicology
- Steven Olsen – vice chancellor and chief financial officer
- Neal Stulberg – professor and chair, Department of Music
To enhance the search effort, we have retained an executive search firm, Witt/Kieffer, represented by Mary Elizabeth Taylor, Zachary Smith and Elizabeth Bohan.
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would very much appreciate your circulating the announcement below and notifying the search/advisory committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. The committee also welcomes input on ideal qualities and qualifications for the dean; current opportunities, challenges and priorities that could help set the agenda for the school; and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts. Please email nominations and input to MusicDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu or contact Traci Considine, manager of executive recruitment in the Office of the Chancellor (email@example.com). Inquiries and applications may be sent to UCLAHerbAlpertMusic@wittkieffer.com. All correspondence will be held in strict confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Scott L. Waugh
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost