To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates for the next Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost.
Carole E. Goldberg, Jonathan D. Varat Distinguished Professor of Law Emerita and distinguished research professor, is chair of the committee. Other members are:
- Eric Avila – chair and professor, Cesar E. Chavez Department of Chicana and Chicano Studies; professor of history and urban planning
- Roshan Bastani – professor of health policy and management; director, UCLA Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Equity; director of disparities and community engagement, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Joseph Bristow – distinguished professor of English; chair, Academic Senate, 2018–19
- Andrea M. Ghez – Lauren B. Leichtman & Arthur E. Levine Chair in Astrophysics; professor of physics and astronomy
- Tyrone C. Howard – professor of education; Pritzker Family Endowed Chair in Education to Strengthen Families; director, Black Male Institute
- Tracy L. Johnson – Cecilia and Keith Terasaki Presidential Endowed Chair in the Life Sciences, Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology
- Judith L. Smith – founding dean, UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music; emerita vice provost/dean for undergraduate education
- Roger M. Wakimoto – vice chancellor for research
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would very much appreciate your circulating the announcement below and notifying the search committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. Search committee members would also welcome your input on critical issues and priorities that could help set the agenda for the executive vice chancellor and provost, ideal qualities and qualifications for the position, and any other information or insight that will help guide the search effort. Please email input, nominations and applications to EVCProvostSearch@conet.ucla.edu. Inquiries may be directed to Traci Considine, manager of executive recruitment in the Office of the Chancellor (310-206-8003 or email@example.com). All correspondence will be held in strict confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Gene D. Block