To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty in the College of Letters and Science, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates for the next dean of the Division of Life Sciences.
Jonathan R. Hiatt, professor of surgery and vice dean for faculty in the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, is chair of the committee. Other members are:
- Albert J. Courey – professor of chemistry and biochemistry
- Rachelle H. Crosbie – professor and chair of integrative biology and physiology; professor of neurology
- Carlos V. Grijalva – professor emeritus, psychology and neuroscience; associate dean for special projects, Graduate Division
- Leanne Jones – professor of molecular, cell and developmental biology
- Nathan J. B. Kraft – associate professor of ecology and evolutionary biology
- Hannah Landecker – professor of sociology; director, Institute for Society and Genetics
- Beth A. Lazazzera – associate professor of microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics; chair, Life Sciences Core
- David O. Sears – distinguished research professor of psychology and political science
- Xinshu Grace Xiao – professor of integrative biology and physiology; director, bioinformatics interdepartmental program
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would very much appreciate your circulating the announcement and notifying the search committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. Please email inquiries, nominations and applications to LifeSciDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu.
As a critical part of the search process, the search committee seeks input from the campus community on current issues and priorities that could help set the agenda for the Division of Life Sciences, ideal qualities and qualifications for the new dean, and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts. If you are interested in providing input to the committee, please contact Traci Considine, manager of executive recruitment in the Office of the Chancellor (310-206-8003 or firstname.lastname@example.org). All input, inquiries, nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Emily A. Carter
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost