To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts, and UCLA College Staff
As you know, Pat Turner has informed me of her intent to step down as dean of the Division of Undergraduate Education and return to the faculty on June 30. A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates for the position, which Chancellor Block and I have decided to fill through an internal search.
Jayathi Y. Murthy, the Ronald and Valerie Sugar Dean of the UCLA Samueli School of Engineering, is chair of the committee. Other members are:
- Simon Board – professor of economics
- Troy Carter – professor of physics
- Andrew J. Fuligni – professor-in-residence, psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences, and psychology
- Michael Hackett – professor of theater; associate dean for student affairs, School of Theater, Film and Television
- Caroline Streeter – associate professor of English and of African American studies
- Dominic Thomas – professor of French and Francophone studies; chair, departments of French and Francophone studies, Germanic languages, Italian, and Scandinavian
- Blaire Van Valkenburgh – distinguished professor, ecology and evolutionary biology
I invite you to review the announcement, and to nominate — ideally by or before Monday, March 30 — any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. The search committee also welcomes input on current issues and priorities that could help set the agenda for the new dean, ideal qualities and qualifications for the new dean, and other information or insights that will help inform and guide the committee’s work. If you wish to be considered for the position, please submit a letter of interest and curriculum vitae by Wednesday, April 15.
Please email input, inquiries, nominations, and applications to UndergradEdDeanSearch@conet.ucla.edu, or contact Traci Considine, manager of executive searches in the Office of the Chancellor (310-206-8003, email@example.com). All correspondence will be held in strict confidence.
Emily A. Carter
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost