Job Announcement: Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning
On behalf of Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost (EVCP) Darnell Hunt, members of the search/advisory committee invite inquiries, nominations and applications for the position of UCLA Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning (VPTL).
As a key resource for, and driver of, innovation and collaboration in teaching across UCLA’s broad academic landscape, the VPTL provides visionary leadership for excellence in teaching and learning across all university academic programs and is responsible for design and leadership of programs focused on the development and sharing of successful teaching practices of faculty, post-doctoral fellows and students. The VPTL, through the Associate VPTL, oversees personnel, budget and academic planning for the newly established UCLA Teaching and Learning Center (TLC) and is responsible for program evaluation, teaching assessment, and general pedagogical policy development and implementation. Reporting directly to the EVCP, the VPTL leads a large and diverse staff; works comfortably across disciplinary boundaries; and consults regularly with Academic Senate committees, faculty in the College and professional schools, and academic administrative leadership at UCLA and across the University of California system.
Other responsibilities include:
- Providing vision and leadership to ensure that the TLC advances the university’s goal of educational excellence through best practices of professional development in evidence-based teaching, mentoring, assessment, online education, blended learning and academic testing.
- Supporting scholarship on teaching and learning across the university and promoting a climate of academic integrity.
- Guiding continuous critical evaluation of benchmarks to assess TLC effectiveness.
- Creating and implementing incentives for innovation and forms of recognition for teaching excellence.
- Working collaboratively with deans to build and coordinate disciplinary teaching and learning centers.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of publicly offered online courses, non-degree programs and hybrid masters and doctoral degree programs, in consultation with UCLA Academic Senate committees, deans and faculty.
- Coordinating with the University Librarian and the Chief Information Officer in the development of innovative learning spaces.
- Collaborating with the University Librarian to explore open access to educational materials.
- Coordinating, with the center’s Director of Communications, the TLC’s communication strategy including, but not limited to, its website, listservs, social media and annual report.
- Creatively exploring external resources to support the work of the TLC.
- Working with educators in the Los Angeles community.
- Representing UCLA as a global leader in higher education pedagogy.
In carrying out these responsibilities, the VPTL promotes the highest ethical standards of university service and commitment to university core values in advancing the equity, diversity and inclusion mission of UCLA in teaching, curriculum development and assessment.
The successful candidate should possess the following qualities and qualifications:
- Extensive knowledge of trends in higher education pedagogy and current research on blended learning strategies, including online learning pedagogy and the emerging platforms and tools for delivering digital education
- Experienced academic administrator (UCLA leadership experience preferred)
- UCLA faculty appointment, preferably at full professor
- Record of research on teaching
- Innovative teacher
- Commitment to optimizing equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility in the classroom
- Interest and ability to work across disciplinary boundaries
- Effective collaborator with faculty
- Experience in academic program approval and assessment
- Expertise in multi-formatted teaching, e.g., hybrid and online instruction, teaching technologies, teaching software, effective learning spaces, etc.
- Skill in obtaining external grants and funding
- Experience in community engagement
- Bridge builder who works closely with all the diverse academic communities within UCLA
Confidential review of nominations, inquiries, expressions of interest and applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. To be ensured full consideration, please submit a letter of interest — including a diversity statement — and curriculum vitae to VPTLsearch@conet.ucla.edu by Monday, January 16, 2023.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy – https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction.